Monday, April 2, 2018

Under The Influence Inspiration


For this project I am choosing the work of Maria Svarbova, a photographer from Slovakia. This piece is from her Swimming Pool series, a collection of retro inspired photographs showcasing reflections and regimentation.

I am unsure if her work does heavily rely on Photoshop, or whether she achieves her compositions naturally - relying on real staging and models. But I can see how her photos could be recreated using editing software were her desired locations not available.

Each body of work Svarbova creates appear quite flat. I have identified this almost two dimensional aesthetic is something very appealing to me - as I'm also a big fan of the director Wes Anderson, who's films carry a similar appeal. I like how colour - especially red - is used to accent every piece Svarbova creates. Her subjects are rigid and uniform, making some viewers uncomfortable, while others - like myself - find the still symmetrical forms to be strangely calming.

No comments:

Post a Comment