Monday, February 17, 2020

Transformative Portrait: Matt Abbott-Rigsbee


For my portrait, I wanted to create something with an Synthwave / Outrun aesthetic. This aesthetic is experienced mostly through music, but also can be viewed through other forms of media such as art, movies, and video games. It explores many themes and common motifs. Outrun generally employs 1980s themed retrofuturism, and visual themes are generally played out at night time over neon drenched cars, technology, and violence. It shares some concepts with Noir, but instead of the American '40s, the setting is generally the 1980s or an '80s inspired future.
I wanted to transform a simple subject into an Outrun inspired character. The subject is transformed into an illegal night-time street racer, posing with his trusty vehicle. His wardrobe is highlighted with neon motifs, and a robotic eye shines behind the lens of his glasses.

2 comments:

  1. I think your composition is evenly balanced with the way you placed yourself in relation to the car. Along with that I think you chose a realistic scale for yourself, again, in relation to the car. I think the lighting on the end product is a little dark, and you could have pushed the red glow/highlight on your face and car a little more. The addition of the neon glow makes the whole composition seem futuristic.

    I think the night time street racer vibe comes across wether you had had the explanation or not. This could probably mean that you yourself have a desire to be like that kind of tough guy, or you are that tough guy come night time/when you're driving. This could also represent a desire to have a super nice car like the one pictured, or you have that kind of car and simply want to flex on everyone.

    Overall I think you have created a successful image. One thing I think you could benefit from would be using more colors. In your description you mention synth-wave/Outrun aesthetic but I am getting more Tron vibes. If you had used more colors like purple and blue it could have helped with achieving that synth-wave/Outrun aesthetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thing that stands out is the contrast between the dark lighting and the vibrancy of the red, yellow, and white in the image. Even though darkening the image removed some of the background I feel as if it was a smart choice since the trees clashed with the aesthetic of the image. The scaling between you and the car is pretty good but I do feel as if you could be a tad bit smaller.

    Because of the neon red along side with a very 80's style car I feel like there is a sort of cyber-ish theme to this photo. It reminds me of movies in the 80's when they would describe what they felt the future would look like and it would turn out like the style of the image, neon colors with retro style clothes.

    Overall I think the image is good, the contrast of colors fits well. Even though I said earlier that it was a good idea to remove the trees to keep the flow of your aesthetic going, I wish there was something filling that background to support more of that theme. I also wish the car lights and neon lights had a little more glow around them to show that they're illuminating what they're sitting against. The scaling was good and it was pretty straightforward to understand what kind of overall aesthetic you wanted, overall I think you did a good job

    ReplyDelete