Monday, March 9, 2020

When I was younger, I always thought that water towers were actually large towers you could go inside, like an elevator with a room in the top. To this day, I still like to picture it. I took a picture of a large short building - I believe it was a church - and used a clipping mask to make a large watchtower jut out from the roof. I added some windows, that way you can do some actual watching from the top. I made sure the colors all matched, used a screen to add some texture to the image, and then toned down some of the colors as well. The building has now been transformed into an interesting people watching resort!

1 comment:

  1. This work is a combination between a water tower and the short wide building seen at the bottom. The scene is somewhat calming with the subtle rain on a fairly sunny day. I can also see that around the architecture it is surrounded by nature but also includes the parking lot in the front. The water tower looks a bit more factory like with the combination of a ranch style building forms an interesting relationship between one another. But the water tower has been manipulated to seem like a building that people work in.
    From my interpretation of the work I think about how work can sometimes mix into the home. The distinction between work and line can sometimes cross. So, to me the home-like building and the business-like tower merges into one.
    I understand your take on the water tower through your statement, but I think you could take your piece in a different stance and focus on the merging between workplace and home, especially now that technology is so emerged into our daily lives. Work has also become more easily accessible at our homes.
    This work can relate to the increasing amount of people working at home and the cost of work-life balance that may occur in the household. Especially since the tower is a lot bigger than the bottom building, it seems to send the message that working at home may be taking over the life at home and making it harder to separate from work.

    ReplyDelete